From Preparedness Mama, by Shelle
Do you grow stevia in your herb garden? This easy to grow tender perennial will give you years of fresh leaves to use in cooking and herbal preparations. This month’s herb to know is Stevia. Learn how to grow it, harvest and use it.
Get the Facts on Stevia:
- Name: Stevia rebaudiana, sweet leaf, sweet herb of Paraguay
- Family: Asteraceae
- Growing Conditions: Zone 8-10 as a perennial. Can be overwintered as a houseplant if the air isn’t too dry. Needs full sun, but will grow in afternoon shade. Likes consistently moist, rich soil that is well drained.
- Tender herbaceous perennial grown as an annual.
- Height: 20-30 inches, with the right conditions, and heat, it can reach 48 inches.
- Flowers: White clusters of tiny flowers by mid-summer. Grown for its leaves. For larger leaf production the flower buds should be pinched off as they appear.
- Leaves: Slender oblong…
View original post 596 more words