1. The eighth president, Martin van Buren, was the first to be born a U.S. citizen.
2. Presidents like pets. Many have had dogs; Andrew Jackson had a parrot who cursed. John F. Kennedy and his family had a varied menagerie as did Theodore Roosevelt.
3. Earlier presidents certainly were not worrying about keeping what we would consider exotic — and, now, endangered — species as “pets.” Thomas Jefferson had two bear cubs, and Martin Van Buren owned two tiger cubs.
4. Ten presidents — including George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Harry S. Truman — did not have a college degree.
5. Eight early U.S. presidents — including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison – owned slaves while serving in our country’s highest office.