A Gray Whale Washed Ashore in Alaska May Hold Clues to this Year’s Deadly Migration – Counter Information

A Gray Whale Washed Ashore in Alaska May Hold Clues to this Year’s Deadly Migration – Counter Information

“It’s a rough calculation, but only about 10 percent of the mortalities are documented,” says John Calambokidis, a research biologist with the Cascadia Research Collective in Olympia, Washington. The remaining 90 percent, he says, either “sink, float out to sea, or otherwise go undocumented.” That means the death toll so far this year could actually be more than 1,000 individuals.

And we’re probably not done yet. Scientists expect more whales will wash ashore in the coming weeks as they continue north toward the Arctic

via A Gray Whale Washed Ashore in Alaska May Hold Clues to this Year’s Deadly Migration – Counter Information