A Pensacola community leader has died from Vibrio bacteria in oyster

The Tuesday morning death of Studer Community Institute Director of Business Engagement Rodney Jackson shocked the Pensacola community when it was determined he had died from a bacterial infection from eating a raw oyster.

In Florida as a whole, 509 cases of Vibrio vulnificus have been reported since 2008, with 131, or about 26% of those cases, resulting in death.

The safest way to consume an oyster, Farr concluded, is simply to cook it, killing any existing bacteria.

PNJ A Pensacola community leader has died from Vibrio bacteria in oyster